Thursday 18 August 2011

Riding & Ranting

Just a short ride today, 33.8 miles after nights to the cafe at Fradley Junction for breakfast. Not a bad day but cool, it could have been nicer considering it's August!

I made a point of keeping my heart rate low today, nothing taxing as I have, in theory, 5 days to get out on the bike - whether that happens is another matter altogether.

On the return route from the cafe I bonked big style, my blood sugar must have dropped very low and I was forced to use my emergency Energy Gel to bring it back up. I used to hate Gels until I found the High5 Isotonic Gel, they work a treat and aren't to sticky. Well, that worked and I was able to ride home feeling fine.

Here is the Endomondo workout for today.

As for the rant - I really have this bee in my bonnet about the so called cycle safety brigade that feel that they know everything there is about road safety and cycling.

On Sunday I'm supposed to be doing the Blenheim Cycle Challenge - but on reading the rules they can shove it where the sun don't shine. Why, MP3 players of course - they say you are not allowed to use them for, "Rider Safety". Utter bollocks. They claim that riders will need to keep their ears on at the start - and get this for safety - as they are starting 150 - 200 riders at a time! How bloody safe is that? 50 is too many to start in one go without closed roads. There is no way that amount of riders leaving at one time is going to be safe, remember, those of you that know me are aware that my job is all about road safety and that ain't safe. I can see the faces of frustrated motorists, the blaring car horns, the riders taking risks to get out of junctions - I can see a nightmare and a possible fatal crash. They are totally misguided.

I pointed out to them that by their theory they are banning deaf and hearing impaired people from riding their event. They said, and I quote, "Anyone with a hearing impairment would make themselves known to us before and at the start the event and special measures taken to ensure their safety." What a load of rubbish they're talking. Hearing impaired people ride in large bunch races without being able to hear and are perfectly safe - we have another safety feature built it - called, wait for, EYES! All we need to do it to look around to see whats going on. I ride with my MP3 player all the time and I have my head on a swivel, I'm always looking for danger and don't take silly risks.

Well, they can stick their Sportive where the sun don't shine - rules like that make me seethe as they have no foundation in truth. I won't be doing it and will ride the route in a few weeks on my own enjoying my music riding safely and taking no unnecessary risks!

Rant over - thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment