Sunday 14 August 2011

Time For A Blog Update!

Folks, it's been a little quiet here of late, my fault!

I've been back at work and as a result I've been knackered! A month off and then back to long shifts is hard on the body and soul of this ageing & overweight bike rider, so I've not done a great deal on the bike!

To be fair, I think I overtrained slightly in July and my body is rebelling. I should have done the Wiggle Tour Of The Peak today with Mark but I've really felt dreadful over the last week or so, lethargic, no energy and I just feel like I need to sleep all the time. Classic over training and working long hours without enough proper food and water. I also have an allergy similar to Hay Fever that gets worse in damp weather - so this week I've been coughing my guts up. All in all it's added up to me crying off. Not sure how I feel about that at the moment, when I talk to Mark I'll probably wish I'd done it.

So, to bike riding. There's not much to report if the truth be told, because I've felt so bad I've had 7 days completely off the bike. I went out Friday, got 1.5 miles down the road and rode into rain - so I promptly turned home - 3 miles total........

Yesterday I tried my legs out and found that I felt better on the bike than off so I did a 50+ mile ride. I went to the Beehive Farm where the Honeypot cafe is. A nice little cyclists cafe situated on a farm that over the last few years has become a popular camping and caravan site. It was a good ride and I felt fairly strong.

Here is the Endomondo workout for yesterday.

As I've already said, today should have been Tour Of The Peak day - so despite still feeling tired and a little jaded I decided to do my own, shorter, Tour Of The Staffordshire Moorlands. I headed up through Uttoxeter  and up the 3rd Cat climb up to Ramshorn. I was OK, I got into a rhythm and paced myself - not to say that I found it easy by any stretch of the imagination. Actually, I suffered a bit, quite a bit. I realised on this climb that I'd not have been able to do the Wiggle ride even if I'd started it.

It looked like rain so when I got to the turn for Iptsones/Onceote I made the decision to turn left to Ipstones (towards home) rather than right to Onecote which is part of the Tour Of Britain Stoke stage and takes in some good climbs. It'd been my plan to follow the Tour route up through Longnor and then up the climb at Gunn Hill. Rain stopped play!

A good ride home followed with some very steep stuff around Cheadle followed by a good, but very wet, descent down from Spot Acre all the way to Milwich (only a short climb in the middle).

I'd dried out by the time I reached home - and only having done 950m of climbing in 50 miles I knew the Wiggle ride wouldn't have been for me.

Here is the Endomondo ride for today.

I think I've put weight on too - so, no goodies for me tonight. Next Sunday it's supposed to be the Blenheim Palace Breast Cancer ride. I'll see how I feel and what the weather is doing, it's only 60 miles and it'll be good training for the Tour Ride which is my main goal for the latter part of this year and is on 25th September 2011 starting and finishing at Trentham Gardens near Stoke.

Thats all for today, time for a shower and a cup of tea.

Safe riding folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment