Thursday 21 July 2011

Barenbad - Last Holiday Ride

Today dawned overcast and a bit dreary but the forecast was for no rain so I headed out on the bike. I decided to head up to Barenbad again, I could compare my fitness and climbing from last week that way.

As I began the climb I felt quite strong so put a bit of effort in on the very steep bit, no problems so I thought I'd be in for an OK climb. The roads were damp today so I knew that the descent wouldn't be as quick as last week.

I rode pretty strongly all the was to Gasthof Au, the start of the last 2 miles to the top of the climb (10.7 miles long with height gain of 800m). I pushed myself on the last two steep drags to the top and despite the air temp only being 10c on the garmin sweat was pouring from my face.

Armwarmers and Gillet were the order of the day for the descent and I set a lap at the top. I'd beaten last weeks climb time for exactly the same ride by 8 mins. Just shows how being a bit more rested and cooler effects climbing at my age!

I began the descent and took it easier than last week, most of the corners were damp, not soaked, but still enough to send me flying if I overcooked them. No near death experiences on this drop today. Not much traffic and what there was seemed to be switched on to the fact that I could go faster than they could and they gave way, same was to be said for the lumbering German tourists and the stark white Brits (who arrived yesterday).

Once I got back to Mayrhofen I called Trace and arranged to meet at a cafe in Hipach - I'll be adding a review of some cafe's to Patisserie Cyclisme when I get home. It's a great resourse for cycling cafe's.

Despite eating Kase Shinken Toast and having a cappuchino I think I've lost some weight at last - the Gillet I wore today was baggy - last time I wore it it was skin tight rouund the paunch!

Planning on going for a walk up high tomorrow to the new Olperer Hutte.

Here is the Endomondo workout for today.

Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment