Monday 25 July 2011

Sore Thighs & Home!

Well, as you may have guessed from the title I'm home from holiday. It was a great trip with some good weather and some not so good - but I managed to do what I set out to do this year.

The last day was nice, and the only walk on the holiday. I headed up to the Olperer Hütte, a mountain hut which sits around 2350m in the Zillertal Alps. Now, I'm a cyclist - I maybe overweight but I still have fairly strong legs, for going up.........The walk up was a dream, stunning views and some showers but warm. At the hut the mist was down so no views there and I didn't stop as I'd left Tracey down near the car and it had taken me 1 hour 20 mins to get to the hut (not bad for a 600m climb).



Now the dreaded descent! Like I said, I'm a cyclist and can go up all day, same action as pedaling and same muscles used - but not down! It's been May since I went out on walking in the hills and my legs are just not set for walking down - using my muscles in the opposite way to which they're trained. I thought it would hurt but it wasn't to bad and I didn't get jelly thighs like I normally do. The views really opened up.



I said my legs didn't hurt didn't I? Well, that was until that night....then ouch, my thighs felt like someone was sticking knives in them. And I've got to drive home with these things?

Ah, the drive home - what a nightmare. It turns out that Saturday was the start of the Bavarian main summer holidays - and I was driving up through Germany via Bavaria! Major traffic jams and heavy rain caused the projected 7 hour drive to the hotel to be 10.5 hours of non-stop torture. Sunday's leg wasn't all that bad and the ferry crossing was great. The Tour De France final stage on the ferry in the Stena Plus lounge, what more could you ask for!

I arrived home at 23:30 with sore legs and feeling washed out. Got up today at 09:45 still feeling washed out....now for beans on toast - I've missed my beans on toast.

Here is the Endomondo workout for Friday's walk.....I didn't start the Endo app on my phone so the first bit is missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment