Saturday 16 July 2011

Gerlos or Bust

We had two rather inclement days and I over indulged myself with food and wine - well, I am on holiday!
Today the weather was great so I decided to punish myself for the last days indiscretions and go up the Gerlos Pass from Mayrhofen. The climbs isn't that bad - 15 miles or so with a height gain of 1000m but the central few miles are flat....the hard work is done at the beginning and the end.
It's not much to write about going up - but down is a different matter altogether. You can really fly down this pass back to Zell am Ziller and so I did. I must mention the climb though, the start from Zell goes up at about 8 or 9% for some 7 or 8 miles and there are a number of hairpins to negotiate, Same for the top section. Today I headed higher than before to a small village called Koenigsleiten. A dead end road but more height gain.
The views from the top of the pass are stunning and I'll add a few photos when I get home - check them out later.





Well, as for the descent - it was wonderful. A tail wind (head wind climbing) pushed me to 48mph and I was almost yeeehaaaa'ing all the way down. I rode like a fat black clad deamon, I actually worked harder on the descent than the climb with heigher heart rates!
The bottom section was a dream, I over took cars, coaches and motorbikes through the hairpins and none caught me up before Zell.
The weather was great and I got back to Mayrhofen feeling strong and headed to Mo's for a couple of beers and a Chicken Burger - no weight loss today!!!!!!!!! Buffoon that I am!.
Had a phone call to tell me that Tracey had tripped and sprained her ankle while descending from her walk. Poor lass, we still have a week here and she now can't walk! Hope it sorts itself out over the next few days.
Here is the Endomondo workout.
Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment